Long Gully Bridge

Suspension bridge built to encourage residential development at Northbridge and Cammeray. Built between 1889 and 1892, it was designed by Professor William H Warren of the University of Sydney and JEF Coyle, consulting engineer, and was considered one of the engineering wonders of Sydney. Poorly maintained however, it was threatened with demolition in the 1920s and 1930s. In 1936 the bridge was closed to allow for the construction of a concrete arch to support the deck of the bridge, and reopened in 1939. It is now listed on the State Heritage and Conservation Register.

-33.816689540621, 151.21242232513

Milestone
Constructed
1892
Name
Alternate
Cammeray Suspension Bridge
Alternate
Northbridge Suspension Bridge
Position
1889 - 1892
1889 - 1892
Type

Northbridge

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2016

Northbridge, a suburb of Willoughby City Council that borders Middle Harbour on Sydney's north shore, is named for its suspension bridge, Long Gully Bridge, which was first opened in 1892. This article outlines the history of its development.