The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Macquarie Place Drinking Fountain
Cast iron canopy fountain imported from Glasgow in 1870, one of eight, to provide public amenity when many houses were built without water connections. It was moved into Macquarie Place in the 1970s. The canopy carries the City's coat of arms, an instructive Bible inscription, and the less charitable demand 'Keep The Pavement Dry!'. The actual drinking fountain is missing.