Redfern boundary marker

Boundary marker erected on Cleveland Street to show the southern edge of Sydney Town.

-33.88931656120706, 151.2024616598865

Type

Sydney's Boundary Markers

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

When Sydney was declared a town, Governor Bourke had eight stones erected to mark the boundaries. Less than a decade later, Governor Gipps declared Sydney to be a city, marking out the boundaries of the 1842 wards with a series of cast iron posts. Where are those early markers now?