Rushcutters Bay boundary marker

Boundary marker for the north eastern limit of Sydney Town originally thought to be placed north of New South Head Road.

-33.87597405825277, 151.2291215657751

Type

Sydney's Boundary Markers

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

When Sydney was declared a town, Governor Bourke had eight stones erected to mark the boundaries. Less than a decade later, Governor Gipps declared Sydney to be a city, marking out the boundaries of the 1842 wards with a series of cast iron posts. Where are those early markers now?