Surry Hills boundary marker

Boundary marker installed to indicate the eastern limit of Sydney Town. Now installed at the Museum of Sydney.

-33.88172815719542, 151.2190329730402

Type

Sydney's Boundary Markers

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

When Sydney was declared a town, Governor Bourke had eight stones erected to mark the boundaries. Less than a decade later, Governor Gipps declared Sydney to be a city, marking out the boundaries of the 1842 wards with a series of cast iron posts. Where are those early markers now?