Walsh Bay wharves

Wharves along Hickson Road which form part of an historical port precinct comprising sheds, bond stores and bridges carved from the sandstone cliff of Dawes Point. Built of turpentine piles with ironbark beams the wharves have been converted for use as theatre and arts venues and residential apartments.

Milestone
Constructed
1912 - 1921
Name
Commemorated by
Property
Comprises
Comprises
Type

The Harbour End

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2014

When The Wharf opened its doors in January 1985, Vivian Fraser's sensitive renovation, with its respect for the past and embrace of the modern, won universal acclaim. As a venue, The Wharf epitomises the big, bold, adventurous creativity and distinctive Sydney glamour of the company it houses. Nearly 30 years on, visitors to the Sydney Theatre Company still feel a palpable sense of anticipation as they make their way down the long walkway to 'the harbour end'.