Parliament House

Building housing the New South Wales Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council, built as the northern wing of Sydney Hospital, and much added to over nearly 200 years.

-33.867404661283, 151.21258601892

Milestone
Constructed
1811 - 1816
Position
1843
Type

Parliament House

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Although built as part of Sydney hospital, the northern wing that became Parliament House was never used only for medical purposes, being put to work as a temporary court and judges' chambers. From 1829 it was used for Executive Council meetings, and with responsible government, the building needed extensions. Many additions followed, with a major modern building added to the back of the building in the 1970s.