South Head Signal Station

Signal station established for shipping since 1797, and now used for small and recreational boating. Since 1790 the position had been a simple lookout post and flagpole.

Milestone
Constructed
1838 -
Type

South Head Signal Station

,
2008

For the colony's first 50 years the signal station was a basic lookout hut, a flagpole and a signal staff for semaphore flag signals. A new signal house was built in 1841, and added to over the years, until the station went out of official use in 1992. Now run by volunteers, the station provides visual signals for recreational sailors.