The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Street in the centre of the city that runs from Macquarie to George Streets that was named for the bridge across the Tank Stream. The town was both physically and socially divided by the stream. On the eastern side was the Governor's house and tents of the civil establishment and to the west, the makeshift barracks of the military and convicts. The timber log bridge built in October 1788 was replaced by a stone bridge in 1803.