La Perouse

South-eastern residential suburb on Botany Bay, named after the French explorer who landed there in 1788. It has a large Indigenous population, including those who can trace their ancestors back to the Kameygal people in pre-contact times.

Name
Aboriginal
Kooriwal
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

La Perouse

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Traditionally owned by the Kameygal, whose descendants still maintain their connection with the land, La Perouse has a history of both invasion and survival. Unwanted by the early colonists who thought it unhealthy, the area was an Aboriginal camp throughout the nineteenth century, though also used for government purposes, such as quarantine and signalling. During the 1930s Depression, unemployed people set up camp there. Repeated attempts to move Aboriginal people away from La Perouse failed, and since 1984 the reserve has been Aboriginal land.

Randwick Heritage Plaques

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

Randwick City Council Bicentennial Commemorative Plaques recognise buildings and sites of historical significance throughout Randwick municpality.