Bridge Street

Street in the centre of the city that runs from Macquarie to George Streets that was named for the bridge across the Tank Stream. The town was both physically and socially divided by the stream. On the eastern side was the Governor's house and tents of the civil establishment and to the west, the makeshift barracks of the military and convicts. The timber log bridge built in October 1788 was replaced by a stone bridge in 1803.

Type

The Bridge Street Affray

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2018

On 2 February 1894 three men attempted to rob the offices of the Union Steamship Company on Bridge Street in the city. Several police constables were brutally attacked and injured when they confronted the thieves. Officers of the New South Wales Police have carried firearms ever since.