Pennant Hills

Suburb built on Dharug land north-west of central Sydney which was first used by Europeans for timber-getting, and later for farms and orchards. The suburb grew steadily after the arrival of the railway line in 1887.

Name
Alternate
Dundas
Alternate
Pendant Hills
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Pennant Hills

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

The area that became Pennant Hills was Dharug country before the Europeans arrived. A convict timber-getting camp was set up in 1816, but by 1830 the forest had been felled, and farms and orchards covered the land. When the railway came through in 1887, produce could be taken to market more quickly, and the town grew, catering for travellers and holidaymakers.