Justice and Police Museum building

Building on the corner of Phillip and Albert streets at Circular Quay comprising two 19th century courthouses and a former police station. Originally built in the 1850s to house the Water Police Court and Water Police Station, the complex has variously been used by several branches of the police service before conversion in the 1980s to the Police and Justice Museum, operated by Sydney Living Museums.

Milestone
Constructed
1854 - 1886
Name
Alternate
Water Police Court
1856 - 1979
Position
1856
1885 - 1886
Property
Part of
Comprises
Occupied by
1856 - 1913
Occupied by
1990 -
Type

Life After Wartime

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2014

Life After Wartime brings previously 'lost' images from the Justice and Police Museum, Sydney, into the public domain. Using uncatalogued crime scene photographs taken from 1945 to 1960, Life After Wartime captures a startling record of life, death and folly, reflecting a period of great turmoil in Sydney.