Convict medical service which became a district hospital as transportation ended and the population expanded. Further demands saw the services absorbed by Westmead Hospital.

Milestone
Formed
1789
Merged into
1978
Position
1791 - 1795
1815 - 1821
1821 - 1823
1825 - 1826
1826 - 1838
1852
Property
Occupied
1789 - 1792
Occupied
1792 - 1818
Occupied
1818 - 1978
Occupied
1949 - 1978
Type

Parramatta's General Hospital

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

Parramatta's General Hospital for convicts was located on Marsden Street overlooking the Parramatta River from 1789 to 1818. Initially two thatched sheds that were known as the Tent Hospital, these were replaced in 1792 by a Brick Hospital. However, conditions continued to be woefully inadequate and led to the construction of a third hospital for convicts, the Colonial Hospital, on the same site in 1818.

The Colonial Hospital

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

At the request of Governor Macquarie, a new convict hospital was built at Parramatta and opened in 1818. Designed by John Watts, the building was based on a military hospital and proved grossly inadequate: only half the expected number of patients could be treated there, men and women were placed side-by-side, and diseases such as dysentery, tuberculosis and syphilis were rife. The hospital officially closed on 31 March 1848, reopening as Parramatta District Hospital in June the same year and bringing the era of convict healthcare to a close.