Stone building on South Head Road, near the South Head lighthouse, used as a hotel. Probably the South Head Hotel that was built by William Wallis in the 1840s, the building, and surrounding 11 acres of land, was bought by the New South Wales government in 1877 and converted for institutional use, initially a reformatory for girls. The building was demolished in 1930. 

Property
Superseded by
Occupied by
1880 - 1904
Occupied by
1908
Occupied by
1913
Occupied by
1915 - 1929
Type

Shaftesbury Reformatory

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2018

In 1880, the Shaftesbury Reformatory for Girls opened in a converted old hotel building on New South Head Road, Vaucluse. Several other institutions including the Shaftesbury Institute for Destitute Inebriates and the Shaftesbury Home for Mothers and Babies took the reformatory's place over the following decades, until the buildings were demolished in 1930 and the land sold.