Circular Quay

Area of Sydney's central business district that surrounds the quays built on reclaimed land from the 1830s.

Property
Comprises
Type

East Circular Quay

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

The area that is now East Circular Quay was quickly seen as the governor's side of Sydney Cove after colonisation in 1788. The first house built on the point belonged to Bennelong. When the semi-circular quay was constructed from 1837, the eastern side of the bay was used as a quarry. From the 1860s, wool stores and warehouses were built that dominated the landscape until after World War II, when taller buildings were allowed.