Port Jackson

Drowned river valley that forms Sydney Harbour and includes North Harbour and Middle Harbour. Long inhabited by the Gadigal, Cammeraygal, Wangal and Eora people, Port Jackson was renamed by Captain Cook in 1770, although his ship did not enter the Heads.

Commemorated by

Early Hydrographers of Sydney

CC BY-SA 2.0

Surveying the depths of Sydney Harbour was essential for safe navigation and effective transport. From 1788 until the formation of the Sydney Harbour Trust in 1901, the depths of the Harbour were charted by officers of the Royal Navy, with some help from French explorers.